Tuesday 28 September 2010

Homes, studios and brains


Ok, it's been over a year since I last wrote something here. That is incredibly slack of me, I know, but in my defence there has been a lot of change going on.

A couple of months ago we moved house. That entailed a few months of packing and, more significantly, taking the studio apart, which means that for the first time in 20 years I have no studio of my own. Serious as that sounds it is a temporary inconvenience and I have already launched plans to build a new, improved place. To be honest there were some serious problems with the last studio which I was never going to be able to fix so it's refreshing to start from scratch and hopefully get it spot on this time.

In the meantime I have access to another fine facility courtesy of The Orchard Recording Studios so I can continue to work on whatever may need doing. Which leads to the question: "what the hell am I doing musically at the moment?"

Well, actually, not a huge amount. Getting the new studio set up is the priority right now so new music is on hold, but we are planning to re-issue the old albums next year with added tracks and a few rarities so there's a bit of work to do. And there is also my other bit of news...

As of next week I will be studying Creative Sound and Media Technology. As you may well have noticed I have been working with video in my live shows for some years and I am fascinated by how effective sound and image together can be. I figured it would be good to really look into that in depth, leading to who knows what creative possibilities in the future, and you'll no doubt be pleased to know that the course involves a lot of new writing and recording so new material to release shouldn't be too far off.

I also thought it would be good to give my brain a bit of a work out too, 20 years of making music with a bit of label managing thrown in has got a bit predictable and I think waking up a few dormant brain cells can only be a good thing. Of course, I might find I get there and there aren't many cells left to re-awaken...